2014年3月1日土曜日

2014年3月1日土曜日 -

Johnny - A giant Belgian rabbit



The other day I went to a large pet shop in Osaka called Amigos to buy some dog food. I usually have a fairly good idea of the range of different pets they have. I like ferrets but their natural musk is rather strong, I always ask the assistant what this week’s most popular dog is, and the response never waivers. “Poodle”, they say. I don’t consider a toy poodle to be a dog. I think they are just animated toys, anyway, what do I know?

This visit was a little different. They had a giant Belgian rabbit. I have only ever seen one once before in Japan. They are so huge and fabulous you cannot believe it. They are twice the size of a toy poodle and their hind feet, which are called thumpers, are so big and furry and cute you would fall in love with them at the drop of a hat. They have the most enormous soft velvety ears, so tactile. I didn’t attempt to lift it up as it looked rather heavy, but it was very happy to let me stroke its silky fur.


I really wanted to take it home with me. If I’d bought it, I would have called it Buster.


musk:麝香

rather:かなり
waivers:棄権
anyway what do I know:まっ、よくわかんないけどね
fabulous:素晴らしい
hind feet:後ろ足
furry:毛皮で覆われた
at the drop of a hat:即座に
tactile:触った感じのする
attempt to:~してみる
lift it up:持ち上げる